From the Cheap Seats

Thursday, September 2

It must be the Republicans...

I had an abysmal night. I was I played for about 2.5 hours and ended down 16BB. For about the first hour or so, my cards were as bad as the night I ended up having. When I did get decent cards, I played poorly and went down pretty fast. This was some of the same play I posted about earlier. I was extending any bluffs way to far and limping in when I should have known I was behind. (probably did know in the back of my mind if I had thought about it) Anyway, this play cost me a good bit when I finally realized that I was playing like an idiot and started paying attention. This is the single weakest point in my game at this point.

A couple of interesting hands came up. The first of these was a mistake followed by a questionable call though I think I played it right (after my first mistake).

The hand went as follows converted:

Preflop: I am in MP with Kc, Js.
UTG raises
, 2 folds, I call, 3 folds, SB 3-bets, 1 fold, UTG calls, I call.

Flop: (10 SB) 7d, Ks, Kd (3 players)
SB bets
, UTG folds, I call.

Turn: (6 BB) 6h (2 players)
SB bets
, I raise, SB calls.

River: (10 BB) 5d (2 players)
SB checks, I bet, SB calls.
Main Pot: 12 BB, between SB and Danny. > Pot won by Danny (12 BB).

Results in white below:
SB shows Ad Ac (two pair, aces and kings).
Danny shows Kc Js (three of a kind, kings).
Outcome: I win 12 BB.


The way I see it my first preflop call was a mistake. With a raise from UTG I should have folded, as he was playing fairly tight (though I hadn't been paying too much attention to him at this point). The mistake was a stupid one in that my touchpad registered a premature click over the call button. At the time though, it wasn't a big deal KJo, while not being a great hand to play in a raised preflop, is not horrible. Then comes the reraise from the SB. Here is where I am not sure of the play. At this point, I am thinking I am probably behind but I have already committed 2SB into the pot. The raise got a call from UTG so we now have 9SB in the pot. At this point, I have to assume the SB has a top notch hand so assuming it is AA I am a 6 to 1 underdog. At this point, knowing that the preflop won't be capped, I can throw away my 2SB or I can toss in 1 more and check out the flop. At some level, I need to discount my mistake call as a sunk cost but I am not sure that it implies that I should not call the reraise. In the end, I decided to make the call and see what the poker gods had in store for the flop. After the flop, I think I played the hand well. A raise at the flop would probably have gotten a call from the SB followed by check-bet-call on both the turn and the river. Thus, I think that call and the raise on the turn were about right.

After that the play went without many interesting hands. I started getting some better cards and was able to claw back some of my losses though I still ended down for the night. My stats for the night proved interesting. Before this I had generally seen my winnings increase as I was in LP. Last night, I seemed to do my best (or at least get the best cards) in MP. Haven't been able to extract enough to detail (or enough hands) to determine if that was just where I got the cards or if it had to do with my play. Or maybe the bad karma from the RNC being caused me to have a bad night. Right...

As always, thanks for stopping by (if anyone is actually stopping by).